Basic Chicken Soup - The Best Soup For a Cold
Have a cold? Here is a basic chicken soup to get you back on your feet. This is the best soup for a cold when you have one!
- 1 whole chicken, 3.5-5 lbs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- kosher salt
Season chicken all over with kosher salt
Add chicken to large pot and cover with water about 12 cups of water.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
While the chicken is simmers, cut up carrots, onion, and smash garlic cloves. Add to the pot and simmer for another 20 minutes.
Transfer chicken to a cutting board and separate meat from bones. Use two forks to pull apart the breasts and leg meat. Alternatively, use your hands to tear up the chicken meat into smaller pieces. Discard skin or chop and leave in with the rest of the meat.
Add the chicken back into the pot, season with several large pinches of salt and simmer for 5 more minutes to cook through. Taste and add more salt if needed.
For Quicker Cooking: Cut up the chicken into pieces before cooking. The separate pieces will cook quicker than the whole bird. Leave the carcass in while the chicken simmers and discard once finished.
Using Skin: Typically, chicken skin is discarded instead of adding into the soup. But, if you'd like to leave in your soup (I usually do), then chop it up into small pieces before adding back in with the rest of your meat.
Variations: This base recipe is a blank canvas for other popular chicken soup variations. Here is how to transform it into one of your favorites:
- Chicken noodle soup: Add dried noodles into the simmering pot based on the suggested cooking time of your noodles.
- Chicken and rice: Add short grain rice into the soup pot when there is about 20 minutes left in the cooking time. This time may vary if you use different types of rice.
- Chicken and cabbage: Add sliced cabbage into the soup with the carrots, onion, and garlic. The cabbage will soften and add more chunkiness and health benefits.
Calories: 213kcalCarbohydrates: 8.1gProtein: 21.3gFat: 10.2gSaturated Fat: 2.8gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 446mgPotassium: 365mgFiber: 1.8gSugar: 3.5gCalcium: 38mgIron: 1mg