Anchovy and Garlic Braised Kale
Flavor packed anchovy and garlic braised kale recipe. This kale side dish is perfect for a healthy weeknight meal!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (or half of a large one), thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 2 oz tin anchovies, finely chopped
- 2 bunches kale, leaves separated from stems, leaves sliced into 1 inch pieces and stems reserved for another use (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot with lid.
Add anchovies, garlic, and onions. Cook until garlic is golden and onions have softened, about 5-7 minutes.
Add kale a few handfuls at a time, tossing after each to distribute ingredients. Add vinegar and cover pot for 5 minutes to let steam.
Remove lid and cook, uncovered until most of the liquid has evaporated, 10-12 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed,
Kale types: Any type of kale works for this recipe. Curly kale is the most widely available and works great. If you want a more colorful dish, use Redbor (or Red) kale which has a reddish / maroon color.
Vinegar substitute: If you want a less acidic dish, try using white wine instead of vinegar. This will have less of a bite and a more pronounced anchovy flavor.
Calories: 164kcalCarbohydrates: 15.6gProtein: 8gFat: 8.4gSaturated Fat: 1.3gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 571mgPotassium: 697mgFiber: 2.3gSugar: 1.3gCalcium: 198mgIron: 3mg