Easy Homemade Hummus Recipe (with Variations)
Easy homemade hummus recipe with variations to make an even more flavorful dip. Learn how to make hummus at home so you no longer have to eat tore-bought!
- 1 can chickpeas (or 1.5 cups cooked)
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 5 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-4 tbsp water
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1/4 tsp cumin (optional)
Add all ingredients to a food processor starting with 2 tbsp of water. Purée for 3 minutes or until creamy and smooth.
For a thinner hummus, add another tbsp of water. Purée for 10-20 seconds until combined. Repeat until desired consistency is reached. Transfer to a bowl.
Drizzle with olive oil and your choice of spices such as paprika, crushed red pepper, or cumin (optional).
Serve immediately or store in a resealable container in the refrigerator. Hummus will keep 4-5 days.
Texture: Start by adding 2 tbsp of water to food processor and purée for 3 minutes. For a thinner hummus, add more water 1 tbsp at a time followed by 10-20 seconds of processing until you reach desired consistency.
Variations: If you're feeling adventurous, try one of these variations for this hummus:
- Pesto - Add 1/2 cup of pesto like this vegan kale pesto to crank up the flavor. Alternatively, simply place a dollop of pesto on this finished hummus (instead of adding at the beginning). This way, you get two types of hummus, one bowl.
- Beets - Beet hummus is amazing in taste and appearance. The bright and colorful will be the talk of the meal. Just add a roasted or boiled beet prior to processing.
- Roasted garlic - Swap out fresh garlic for golden roasted garlic.
- Roasted red pepper - Chop up some roasted red peppers and add them before mixing or spoon on top of the finished hummus.
Serving: 0.33cupCalories: 189kcalCarbohydrates: 17.1gProtein: 5.2gFat: 12.1gSaturated Fat: 1.7gSodium: 194mgPotassium: 168mgFiber: 4.1gSugar: 0.3gCalcium: 75mgIron: 2mg