Roasted Beets and Farro Salad
Simple roasted beets and farro salad that is perfect for a filling vegan meal prep. Cook once and eat multiple times with this easy one bowl meal!
- 1 cup farro
- 1-1.5 pounds beets (about 3-4 medium), peeled and cut into about 1/2" wedges or chunks
- 1 cup lightly packed herbs such as parsley, cilantro, mint, chives, or a mix, chopped
- 4 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 cup scallions (about 2 medium), thinly sliced (or chives)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Toss beets with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 tsp. kosher salt on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast 30-35 minutes until tender and browned, tossing halfway through roasting.
Add farro and about 4 cups water to a medium saucepan. Add a pinch of kosher salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes until farro is tender, but still a little chewy.
When beets are done roasting, add to a large bowl. Top with vinegar while still warm and toss. Add farro and 1 tsp. salt. Toss to combine. Let sit while you chop greens.
Add 3 Tbsp. olive oil, herbs, and scallions to bowl. Toss to combine.
Serve immediately or at room temperature.
This recipe is great for meal prep or eaten as leftovers. Store 4-5 days covered in refrigerator. Serve leftovers warm or cold.
Use any variety of beets. I used golden beets, but red, chioggia, or white beets would also work great.
Dress the beets with the vinegar while they are still warm. They will soak in the acid and develop flavor better while still warm.
Alternatives: This recipe is suitable for many variations. Here are a few ideas.
- Instead of red wine vinegar, use apple cider, white wine, or sherry vinegar.
- Use 2 Tbsp. finely diced onions instead of scallions or chives.
- Add finely sliced kale, cabbage, or radicchio to make this salad more green.
Sodium: 166mgCalcium: 366mgSugar: 4.2gFiber: 10.1gPotassium: 1436mgCalories: 413kcalSaturated Fat: 4gFat: 28.2gProtein: 11.9gCarbohydrates: 33.8gIron: 16mg