Some links in this post may be affiliate links, meaning we earn a commission on any purchases you make using the link at no cost to you.
Healthy Roasted Beet Salad with Avocado and Sunflower Seeds That Tastes Amazing
It’s really hard not to make a “beet” joke when writing about beet recipes.
Like “This beet salad recipe can’t be beet!”
Or “These healthy roasted beets will beet hunger into submission!”
I’ll try to beet my urge to joke and just focus on the recipe.
Okay, I’m done now…
Anyway, this colorful roasted beet and avocado salad is your new replacement for the classic potato salad. It is perfect as a healthy vegan side dish or filling meal on its own.
The avocado and sunflower seeds provide tons of healthy fats. While beets are packed with vitamins and minerals we need for a balanced diet.
I love eating this in the spring for lunch or dinner, topping it with sunflower shoots, and calling it a “sunflower beet and avocado salad”.
Add some beet jokes to your next cookout with this healthy beet salad recipe.
How Long Will This Roasted Beet Salad Keep?
Avocados begin to discolor after they are cut. So, if you are not eating this immediately be prepared for some browning of the avocados. The beet color will rub off on the avocado anyway (roasted beets dye everything!), so don’t worry about it too much.
If your avocados aren’t too ripe, this salad should last in the refrigerator, covered, 2-3 days. If they are already starting to discolor, only a day or so.
I love these OXO glass containers for storing completed dishes like this beet salad. You can store, cover, reheat (if needed), and serve all in one container.
How Can I Use This Roasted Beet Salad Meal Prep?
As mentioned, the use of avocados make this a bit tricky for storage.
If you want to use this for meal prep, I suggest leaving out the avocado initially. Then, when you are ready to eat, cut up an avocado and toss it in the salad.
Is This Roasted Beet Salad Healthy?
Between beets and avocado, this salad is packed with health benefits.
Avocados are a health and fitness friendly fruit. According to Cedars-Sinai Academic Medical Center, avocados are packed with fiber, healthy fats, and a long list of nutrients like Folate, Magnesium, Potassium, Vitamins B2, B3, B5, B6, C, E, and K. Plus, avocados make you feel full.
And beets? Some experts go as far as considering them a “superfood”.
Beets are packed with fiber, folate, and antioxidants that aid in digestion. According to Medical News Today, studies show beets may reduce blood pressure, improve digestion, reduce the risk of diabetes, and increase athletic performance.
Overall, this salad is super nutritious.
Can I Use Leftover Roasted Beets?
Absolutely! You can use beets that you already have on-hand.
My favorite way to use beets is by cooking a big batch (3-4 pounds). Then throughout the week, I can top salads, grain bowls, or other meal prep dishes with the cooked beets. Check out this Oven Roasted Beets Recipe for how to cook beets for meal prep.
Tips For Cooking With Beets
Keep it Clean
Beets are beautiful. But, their color does rub off on whatever they come in contact with. Just look at my hands in the picture above.
When the beets are ready to be peeled and cut up, grab a separate small cutting board that can be easily cleaned and tossed in the dishwasher like this one.
That way, your kitchen and main cutting board won’t have streaks of purple.
Make Sure Each Beet is About the Same Size
If you have any large beets, cut them in half so that they’re about the same size as the others. This will ensure they cook around the same amount of time.
When choosing beets that I know I am going to make using this method, I try to get ones that are all the same size. But, if I can’t, then I’ll get a combo of really large ones and ones that are half the size. This way, I can make them all similar in size by cutting in half.
How To Buy Fresh Beets
Beets are generally available with their leafy tops on or off.
If their tops are still on, inspecting these will be your best bet. It means they were dug up within the past week or so. Look for greens that are perky with no shriveling.
If their tops are removed, look for beets with tight, firm skins. You should not be able to squish them at all.
What Should I Serve This With?
This salad could totally be eaten on its own for a meal. But, it is also a delicious and healthy side dish. Here are some recipes that would match perfectly with this salad to make a filling, delicious meal:
Roasted Beet Salad with Avocado
- 1 pound beets prepared below or from this oven roasted beets recipe
- Beet greens from 1 pound of beets (optional)
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 2 avocados
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup sunflower shoots, roughly chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- If your beets have greens, cut them off at about an inch above the bulb. Cut the beet greens again where the green leaves end. Reserve the bottom stems for another use. Chop the top part of the stems into about 1” pieces and set aside.
- Cut any large beets in half so that all beets are about the same size. Place beets in a baking dish large enough to hold all the beets. Season with salt. Pour 1/4 cup water in to dish. Cover tightly with foil and place in preheated over. Roast 45-65 minutes until you can easily slide a fork in to the beets.
- If you’re using beet greens, while the beets are roasting, add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to a medium pan. Heat over medium heat. Add the chopped beet greens and saute until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add to a large bowl.
- When the beets are finished roasting, let them sit for a few minutes until cool enough to handle. Use a paper towel to rub the skins off each beet. Cut into 1/2” wedges and add to bowl with the greens if using. Add red wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, and a few twists or shakes of pepper. Toss and let sit for 5-10 minutes to soak in the vinegar and cool.
- Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil to bowl and toss. Add the sunflower seeds and sunflower shoots if using. Toss again.
- Peel and cut the avocado into wedges that are about the same size as the beets. Add to the bowl and gently toss. You don’t want to mash up the avocado. Serve.
You’re One Step Closer to Acceptable “Beet” Jokes
Beet salad recipe? Check.
Your list of beet jokes you will say during your meal? Hopefully you’re working on this.
Next, you’ll need to get your hands on fresh, high quality vegetables.
The most convenient way to get it is ordering online and getting it delivered to your doorstep. Online produce delivery is growing like crazy. And for good reason. It’s extremely convenient and the items are higher quality than you may find at many grocery stores.
To help you decide which delivery service is best for you, check out this post on the 8 best places to order vegetables online.