Some links in this post may be affiliate links, meaning we earn a commission on any purchases you make using the link at no cost to you.
A Healthier Potato Salad That Tastes Better Than the Classic Version
Do those potato salads loaded with mayo taste bland, heavy, or make you feel unhealthy?
Then you need to check out this healthy potato salad with egg, spring greens, and mustard vinaigrette.
Add vegetables, substitute for healthier fats (olive oil and eggs), and reduce the overall amount of fat to lighten up the classic potato salad. Now you can make the creamy spring or summer side dish a healthy dish!
Perfectly tender potatoes, soft-boiled eggs, healthy spring vegetables like arugula and spinach, and a mustard vinaigrette to bring it all together. The eggs break apart a bit to add creaminess (just like the mayo would).
The mustard vinaigrette adds to the creamy texture while adding a pop of acid to balance out the dish.
One last thing:
It’s super easy and will only take about 30 minutes to make.
Omit the eggs to make this vegan – More on this below.
Keep reading to find out how to cook this healthy spring or summer potato salad.
How Long Will This Salad Keep?
The potato salad will keep at least 3-4 days, covered in the refrigerator.
How Can I Use this Potato Salad for Meal Prep?
This dish is very filling. This recipe produces about 6 side dish servings. But, it is perfectly suitable as a main dish where it will serve about 3. Simply scale up as needed.
What Kind of Greens Should I Use?
Use light spring greens such as arugula, spinach, spring lettuces or a mix. I used a mix of 1/2 arugula and 1/2 spinach.
Other early spring greens like pea and sunflower shoots would work great too.
How Can I Make this Healthy Potato Salad Vegan?
To make this potato salad vegan, omit the eggs. Here are a few substitution ideas:
Avocado – Roughly chop or break into pieces and add in with the greens. This would work great because it would add to the creaminess and provide a healthy, filling fat.
Beets – Cook using this method. Then roughly chop 1 beet into pieces and add in with the greens. This would add a nice sweetness and earthy element to the dish.
Nuts, Seeds, or Dried Fruit – Chop any big pieces and add in with the greens.
Healthy Potato Salad with Egg, Spring Greens, and Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1.5 lbs. small waxy potatoes like new, Yukon Gold, or fingerling, halved, or quartered if large
- 4 Eggs
- 1.5 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1.5 Tbsp. whole grain or Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups spring greens like spinach and arugula chopped
- Kosher salt
- Fill a large pot with water. Add potatoes and enough salt so that it tastes like ocean water (about 1 Tbsp. per quart). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and bring to a simmer. Boil 12-20 minutes depending on the size until potatoes are tender. You should be able to easily slide a fork into the potatoes. Drain.
- Fill a saucepan with water so that it will cover the eggs by about 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Carefully place eggs in water and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer eggs for 7 minutes. Remove eggs and immediately place them into a bowl of ice water (this will make them easier to peel). Let the eggs cool in the ice water for a few minutes then peel.
- Add vinegar and mustard to a large bowl. Add a pinch of salt and the olive oil. Whisk to combine.
- Add potatoes to the bowl and toss to coat them with the vinaigrette. Season with salt.
- Roughly chop or break the eggs into about 8 pieces each. Add eggs and greens to the bowl and toss to combine. Season with salt if needed.